There is no such thing as too much kindness. It doesn’t matter what form it takes, whether it’s as simple as smiling at a passing stranger or leaving an anonymous complementary note in a cafe. Every simple act of kindness helps spread the love, making the world a warmer place.
Plus, random acts of kindness have been scientifically proven to benefit the doers just as much as the recipients. Physiological benefits include lowered heart rate, increased energy, strengthened immune systems, and balanced cortisol levels, leading to lowered stress. People who benefit from these benevolent deeds report to “paying it forward” by helping others in return, creating a powerful chain reaction. (If you want to see more research, you can check out this article from the Honey Foundation.)
Tomorrow is #RandomActsofKindnessDay, so we’re getting ready by thumbing through our One Good Deed A Day Journal. It’s jam-packed with prompts for spreading the love through friendliness, compassion, and generosity. Here are five of our favorite ideas, to get you inspired:
- Bake with your kids.
- Write a letter to someone who has changed your life and might not even know it.
- Send your mom flowers for no reason.
- Learn your local barista’s name and use it.
- Put a love note in a loved one’s lunch.
As we dive into 2016, we’re taking one more moment to look back on last year’s best memories. A final bit of reflection feels like the perfect way to celebrate the little things and the big ones, solidifying our gratitude for each of 2015’s special experiences.
Here are four of our favorite highlights, clockwise from the bottom left:
1. Refreshing renovations: Last year, we revamped our East Village and Park Slope stores to add exciting design details like our vintage floral wallpaper and sliding wood door. It took a lot of work, but it was well worth the effort to make each space feel more like “us.”
2. Joyful celebrations: We love bringing our community together for cupcake- and confetti-filled celebrations, and we enjoyed more than a few fun gatherings in 2015, like our Williamsburg shop’s first anniversary shindig and the whole company’s eighth birthday party at our East Village location.
3. New friends: We fell in love with a tiny, furry pal last year — little Ollie made the perfect addition to our close-knit team. But we were grateful to connect with all sorts of new customers, colleagues, and creative collaborators, paw-footed or not!
4. Special rituals: We launched our #dailydoseofwhimsy Instagram campaign back in February as a way to introduce more small, fanciful touches to our everyday routines. The feed now includes nearly 4,000 posts, and it’s been such a treat to gather inspiration from each contributor who has joined in our whimsical mission.
Here’s to a 2016 full of even more gifts and gratitude!